Skip to main content

The Story of Kimchi

The story of Kimchi


I hate around this time year. 

Maybe not only me, most Korean women will be the same.

Because making kimchi season (called Gimjang in Korean)

 is coming soooooooon.





Do you know Korean traditional food, Kimchi??

It is one of my favorite food, and it goes well with many kinds of menus; such as Samgyeopsal (Fried pork), Bossam (Boild pork), 

Kimchi fried rice,Kimchi pork stew, Kimchi pancake, 

Kimchi tuna stew, Tofu Kimchi, Kimchi sushi, 

Kimchi beansprout soup, Kimchi noodle, Kimchi ramen etc. 


But it is so hard, not hard, I mean it takes a lof of jobs and time.


For next a few days, I would like to talk about Kimchi. 😍


                                         K-Drama: Mother of mine



During winter kimchi making season (Gimjang), 

all the family gather to make ones, like a family activity.

First, I will show you how I am making Kimchi for the next 2 days.

It usually takes 2 days to make winter season kimchi.


Like I mentioned, it is now gimjang (kimchi making season) time 

and I bought 10 Chinese napa cabbages.

(It is very good season to buy good ingredients to make kimchi)


Today, I just made salty water and then the pieces are coated with salty water as a preservative method, as this draws out the water to lower the free water activity. 


This inhibits the growth of undesirable microorganisms by limiting the water available for them to utilize for growth and metabolism. 


The salting stage can use 5 to 7% salinity for 12 hours, 

or 15% for 3 to 7 hours.


In my expierence, the cabages are different from Korean ones, and I always let them stay over a night (between 14 and 18 hours)

  
(Divide a cabbage into 4 pieces)
(Coated with sea salt water over a night)

Tomorrow 
you will see a totally different well-made yummy kimchi.


Quiz: How many kinds of kimchi would be???

                                                             
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gimjang Hada (Made kimchi for the winter) 😍

  Gimjang Hada: To Make kimchi Finally I made Kimchi (Gimjang Hada in Korean means   Kimchi-making for the winter  in Korean) for the upcoming winter.  (Hada means do)                                      K imchi is  a staple in  Korean cuisine , is a traditional  side dish  of salted and  fermented  vegetables, such as  napa cabbage  and  Korean radish , made with a widely varying selection of seasonings including  gochugaru  (chili powder),  spring onions ,  garlic ,  ginger , and  jeotgal  (salted seafood), etc.   This is my own way to make kimchi in Canada as shown above. I am able to buy most of the ingredients except a few ones such as;  dried anchovy, dried pollack and dried shrimps which are from Korea.                   ...

Jjapaguri, Jja-jang-myeon, Parasite🥢

Have you tried "Jja-jang-myeon"? Jja-jang-myeon Have you heard "Steak Ramdon (called Jjapaguri)" from the K-movie, "PARASITE"??? (Here in North America, they might heard as black bean paste noodles, but slightly different to express.) It is a very popular Korean menu. In my teenage years, we ate Jjajangmyeon on special days such as graduation days, birthdays etc. I remember that I also had it with my parents after my elementary school graduation ceremony. Due to its popularity, one Korean ramen company created instant jjajangmyeon, named "Jjapagetti".  Later, the menu "Jjapaguri" from Parasite was introduced. (I don't know who originally created this menu.) I also got to know it from the movie. In Korea, another ramen (Neoguri) is also super famous of its chewy noodles.  (as you can see the picture). Jjapaguri= Jjapagetti + Neoguri + Beef stake (Black bean sauce is from Jjapagetti,  not Neoguri) From Parasite According to the direct...

Birthday tip: My birthday is on the exam day??? (No seaweed soup)

Funny tip We don’t treat seaweed soup for the person who takes an exam on the birthday. Seaweed is as slippery as eel, which means that we could fail an important exam. When my birthday fell on my final term exam, I didn’t eat the soup,  maybe after finishing the exam. We give a stick of candy called yeot ( 엿: a kind of very sticky candy )  or Chapsal-ttok ( 찹쌀   떡 : a kind of rice cake with red bean paste) instead.                  If your friend has a very important exam to pass,  please give Yut to him or her. Please see the famous K-drama for the tip;  Fight for my way The main actress (Kim, Jiwon) is going fot an interview to be an announcer, and his boy friend (Park, Seojun) prepared yut (sticky korean traditional candy) as a surprise. (How sweet..💓💖💕😄) https://youtu.be/5ovlQpc9xro